- Send to friend
- Customers Also Bought
- Customer feedback
Para-Gard 60/120 vcaps | Integrative Therapeutics
Combination of artemisinin, berberine sulfate, and botanical concentrates for intestinal support with excellent tolerance.*
Why support your immune system with goldenseal, berberine and garlic?*
- They work with your digestive system - one of the frontlines for immune health.†
- A healthy immune system also depends on healthy intestinal flora - the "good bacteria" that help us digest nutrients properly.†
Why use Para-Gard®?
- It combines proven ingredients.*
- A high-potency botanical supplement utilized for intestinal defense.† Para-Gard® contains botanical concentrates and standardized extracts shown to exhibit activity against a variety of intestinal organisms in in-vitro and in-vivo studies.†
- Para-Gard® provides effective intestinal support.†
- Para-Gard® is great for travel!*
- Para-Gard® supports healthy digestion when your eating habits may be altered, plus it helps keep your immune system running smoothly.†
The human gastrointestinal tract contains between 10 to 100 trillion microorganisms, which play an important role in gastrointestinal health by supporting the digestion of nutrients, enhancing the body's detoxification processes, and promoting healthy immune system function. Additionally, these microorganisms help maintain gut barrier function, which is critical to intestinal defense.†1
How Does It Work?:
Para-Gard promotes intestinal balance by supporting immune, detoxification, and antioxidant defenses.† The herbs in Para-Gard have been shown to promote healthy microflora balance in both cell studies and clinical settings.†
The following chart details the benefits of the key ingredients in Para-Gard®:*
- Berberine Sulfate Berberine sulfate is a natural plant alkaloid found in goldenseal, barberry, and Oregon grape. It has been shown to enhance intestinal health by promoting the healthy balance of a broad spectrum of bacterial and fungal organisms.† 2 In clinical study, administration of berberine sulfate reduced occasional gastrointestinal discomfort; incidence of occasional loose stools were greatly reduced.† 3*
- Gentian Gentian is a source of bitter compounds, including gentiopricroside, swertiamarine, sweroside.6 The herb is known for its antioxidant properties and its gastrointestinal benefits.† 7 Additionally, gentiopicroside has been shown to support the body's natural anti-inflammatory response.† 8*
- Garlic Fresh garlic, and its key compound allicin, has been shown to support bacterial, fungal, and yeast balance.† 9-12 In vitro studies have shown that allicin alters cellular metabolic processes in bacteria by inhibiting RNA synthesis.† 10 Allicin can also inhibit microbial lipid synthesis, which affects cell wall integrity.† 10*
- Goldenseal Goldenseal alkaloids, including berberine and hydrastine, have been clinically shown to support healthy immune responses.† 16,17 Berberine enhances production of immunoglobulin (IgM), which is critical to intestinal defense.† 16 Extracts of goldenseal have been shown to support the balance of a broad range of intestinal organisms.† 16*
- Quassia The bark of quassia, Picrasma excelsa, has long been used to promote immune defense in the intestinal tract.† 18 Its bitter substances, quassinoids and canthinones, have been shown to support microflora balance by altering cellular processes in bacteria.† 18,19 Quassinoids inhibit bacterial enzymes that regulate nucleic acid metabolism and purine synthesis; they also affect cellular energy production.† 20*
- Sweet Wormwood Artemisinin, the key compound found in the dried leaves and flowers of Artemisia annua, has been clinically shown to support healthy intestinal defense.† 21 By decreasing protein synthesis in certain bacteria, artemisinin improves microbial balance.† 22*
Para-Gard is an effective combination of botanical concentrates and extracts, which supports the body's defenses.† Para-Gard supports healthy microflora balance and restores intestinal health.†
Para-Gard® 60 caps | Integrative Therapeutics
Serving Size:3 Vegetable Capsule up to 3 times per day.
Course of treatment: 4-6 weeks
Servings Per Container:20
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate2 g1%
Dietary Fiber, less than1 g3%
Berberine Sulfate450 mg
Gentian (Gentiana lutea) Root Extract225 mg
Garlic (Allium sativum) Bulb Extract150 mg
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) Root Extract standardized to contain 5% total alkaloids including berberine, hydrastine, and canadine150 mg
Sweet Wormwood (Artemisia annua) aerial parts Extract150 mg
hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetable capsule), cellulose, silicon dioxide, calcium laurate
Can Para-Gard be used long term?
A. Para-Gard® contains goldenseal, an herb with a long history of safe use, particularly in Native American cultures. Alkaloids from goldenseal, particularly berberine, support the body's immune response.† Goldenseal is widely considered safe for short-term use; however, standard references differ on its long-term safety. The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs does not give any caution for long-term use of goldenseal, stating that it is considered non-toxic at recommended doses (.5 – 1.0 gm/day).1 On the other hand, the PDR for Herbal Medicines concludes that goldenseal should not be taken over an extended period of time. It does not state what constitutes an extended period or the dosage amount needed to provoke adverse reactions.2 Other references point out that goldenseal has not been subject to long-term study as their reason for discouraging long-term use. Many dietary supplements containing low levels of goldenseal (less than 500 mg/day) have been safely used without adverse effects. However, goldenseal is best suited to those conditions that require a temporary immune boost.† We would recommend that consumers using a goldenseal product for over eight weeks consult with their licensed healthcare practitioner.
*Your results may vary from those listed above.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
*This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Since we do not know everything about your medical history and medications, please consult with your health care practitioner before implementing any new protocols and supplements. Do not construe any information listed on this site as a substitute for actual medical advice. The info you receive from us is not intended to replace medical advice by your doctor. Forrest Health, Inc. does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. We offer nutritional programs and supplements that support your health. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Forrest Health, Inc. are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a medical condition, see your physician of choice.