Should I Be Taking Vitamins and Nutritional Supplements?
As we get older, our dietary needs change, and we require the proper levels of vitamins and minerals to supplement what we consume in our food. For some adults, it can be challenging to incorporate the proper level of nutrients into our meals due to our active lifestyles.
If you know your diet is lacking a balance of nutrients, then you should be taking vitamins and nutritional supplements to give your body the boost it needs. Some of the more common types of vitamins and supplements people use are presented below.
- Multivitamins: Taking multivitamins is a great solution if you need to supplement your diet with several vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamin A: Helps strengthen the immune system to fight off infections and promotes healthy skin.
- Folic Acid: One of the B vitamins, folic acid should be taken if you are pregnant or planning on getting pregnant, as it helps prevent spina bifida in infants.
- Calcium: If you are lactose intolerant, adding a calcium supplement will help ensure your bones are strong and help reduce the risks of osteoporosis.
- Vitamin D: Works well with calcium supplements and improves absorption of the calcium by the body.
- Vitamin E: Taking this antioxidant vitamin helps strengthen the immune system and cells.
It is recommended to consult with Dr. Forrest or your healthcare provider before you start taking vitamins and supplements to determine which ones are best to promote a healthy and balanced diet. To arrange a consultation with Dr. Forrest or assistance in selecting the right vitamins and supplements, please feel free to contact Forrest Health at 408-354-4262 today.