Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism is a developmental disability
It typically affects the processing, integrating, and organizing of information that significantly impacts communication, social interaction, functional skills, and educational performance. It is also important to emphasize the fact that autism is a neurological disorder. Studies have found abnormalities in the central nervous systems of persons with autism.
Autism seems to be reaching epidemic proportions these days. Although I am unaware of a single definitive cause, many feel it may be related to toxic metals, environmental stress, immune compromise and genetic predisposing.
Essentially a child that is genetically predisposed is then stressed in some way, such as mercury in the immunizations, infections, allergy. This added insult to a genetically weakened system allows the depression of the various signs and symptoms of autism-spectrum disorders.
Our approach is to first test to help define the problem in metabolic terms. We then work to tonify the system with macro and micro nutrients, hormones and neurotransmitters. Once the stem is strong enough we add support to detoxify the system. Finally once the body is restored to its optimal balance we work to rejuvenate.
This is a multi factored approach that we hope will address many of the underlying factors.
What are the Signs and Symptoms
Overall these kids may be in a subconscious state of fear, panic and stress, due to changes in the nervous system, causing them to overreact to stimuli and thus act out ways of trying to be safe.
- Sleep – Disturbed
- Speech – Delayed or nonexistent
- Sensitivities – Touch, Sound, Taste
- Sociability – Desire to be alone
- Tantrums from slight stimulus
- Stimming – repetitive motions, hand-flapping
What Are the Causes Autism
There is a wide range of opinions of this subject but basics seem to center around a number of common factors. These factors have been called the Three P's of Autism.
The Three P's of Autism:
P = Predisposing Factors
P = Precipitating Factors
P = Propagating Factors
I. Predisposing Factors in Autism
- Parental psychopathology is associated with the risk of autism.
- Heavy metal burdens of lead, mercury and uranium.2
- Maternal smoking during pregnancy is linked to high fetal testosterone (FT), and an increased risk in offspring for autism.Genetics.3
- Increased testosterone in mothers of children with autism.4
- Mercury amalgams in the mother.
- Amalgam, consists of 50 % elemental mercury and a mixture of silver, tin, copper and zinc.
- Minute amounts of mercury vapor are released continuously from amalgam.
- Amalgam contributes substantially to human mercury load.
- Mercury accumulates in some organs, particularly in the brain, where it can bind to protein more tightly than other heavy metals (e. g. lead, cadmium).
- Mercury vapor is more neurotoxic than methyl-mercury in fish.
- Mercury from dental amalgam may lead to nephrotoxicity, neurobehavioural changes, autoimmunity, oxidative stress, autism.
- There may be individual genetic or acquired susceptibilities.
- Mercury levels in the blood, urine or other biomarkers do not reflect the mercury load in critical organs.5
- Being male - males have a higher incidence.
- Genetic Factors.
II. Precipitating Factors in Autism
- Mercury content of childhood vaccinations containing Thimerisol - too many too soon.
Significantly increased adjusted (sex, age, vaccine type, vaccine manufacturer) risks of autism, speech disorders, mental retardation, personality disorders & thinking abnormalities.6
- Allergens, toxins and sugar content of food.
- An aggressive toxic event.
III. Propagating Factors in Autism
- Altered immune function including food allergies, environmental allergies, congestion, auto-immune and allergic shiners.7, 8, 9
- Altered brain neurochemistry including increased excitatory and or reduced inhibatory neurotransmitters.10, 11
- Altered brain physiology. Autism is associated with abnormalities of
information integration that is caused by a reduction in the connectivity between specialized local neural networks in the brain and possible over-connectivity within the isolated individual neural assemblies.12, 13, 14
- Brain changes perhaps due to electromagnetic radiation.15
- Altered gut ecology including parasites and yeast.
- Impaired digestion.
- Heavy metal toxicity, typically mercury, lead or copper.
- Food allergies. The most common being wheat, gluten, dairy, corn or soy.
1) Reducing the Stressors! – Stress is considered to be the various toxins, i.e. food, chemicals, metals, infections that may be affecting your child’s body. Part of the reason we are experiencing an epidemic in autistic-spectrum disorders is because genetically these children have higher degrees of susceptibilities to having problems eliminating toxins from their bodies compared to other children.
2) Reducing Allergy and Inflammation – Toxins in the body will increase the potential for allergy, and allergies generate inflammation. Inflammation is very damaging to the body, especially if the chronic inflammation. Some assume can that children with autistic-spectrum disorders are dealing with a level of neurological inflammation as well. Toxins such as foods, viruses, bacteria, chemicals and heavy metals can all generate inflammation. Our approach is to help reduce their overall toxic burden to help alleviate neurological inflammation.
3) Detoxification (chelation and cleansing) – As you begin to decrease the allergy and inflammation through dietary control, supplementation, etc. your child can begin the process of detoxification more effectively.
Detoxification is the process of cleansing toxins. Our body generates many chemicals that naturally help do this for us. The skin, digestion, liver and kidneys are the organ systems responsible for detoxification. One of the challenges with children on the autistic-spectrum is they commonly have weakened detoxification capacity. Therefore, aiding their body with this process is critical.
4) Recovery and Rejuvenation – Once your child’s system has been cleared of toxins, to the best of their ability, they can begin the process of healing and recovery. Final outcomes depend on many factors such as genetics, emotional response to life, compliance and many other factors. We strive to increase the odds of positive outcomes.
What Do We Do?
We test to determine underlying imbalances and deficiencies and then put together comprehensive programs to address what we find. We pay particular attention to brain neurotransmitters, heavy metals, food allergies and gut infections.
We take the following steps to address these issues:
- Neurotransmitter Testing
- Adrenal Testing
- Metabolic Testing
- Parasite Testing
- Heavy Metal Tests
- Digestive Tests
- Allergy Tests
Tonify With Support Nutrients
We supply the macro and micro-nutrients the body needs as raw materials for building healthy bodies.
- Fatty Acids
- Adrenal Support
- Thyroid Support
- Neurotransmitters Support
Detoxify and Cleanse
Using sophisticated multi factor protocols we help to detoxify and cleanse the body of harmful toxins.
• Toxic Metal Chelation
• Infections and Infestations
• Metabolic by-products
Once cleared of toxins the body is supplied the nutrients that science and clinical experience has shown to help rebuild and rejuvenate the body.
What We Suggest
If you are suffering from these or similar complaints it is probably best to do some testing to see where the problems lie.
- Do one or more of the following test panels to see where the deficiencies or imbalances lie. Dr. Forrest will then design a supplement program for you to address the findings.
- We also recommend that you have a consultation with Dr. Forrest so he can better understand and address your needs.
For More Information:
Not Certain What To Do Next?
If you are uncertain as to which products or programs to use or which tests to take; or, if you would like additional help: