Biochemic cell salts are remedies based on inorganic salts. Although highly diluted, they are not classed as homeopathic remedies, as they are not purported to act according to the "like cures like" principle of homeopathy. Nonetheless, they are commonly advocated by people who also advocate similar alternative medicine remedies, including homeopathy.
Tissue salt tablets
Inorganic salts were first used as homeopathic remedies by Samuel Hahnemann, and further developed by Dr. Willhelm Heinrich Schüßler (1821-1898) who identified 12 different salts in human tissue, and concluded that they are important mineral constituents that are present in human cells. He also stated that if an imbalance were to occur, sickness may follow. There is no established evidence for this in modern medicine. He ascribed a specific purpose to each one of the 12 salts, based on his understanding of their biochemical purpose.  However, since his original work, the understanding of the role of minerals in the body has undergone great advances, making his disease and deficiency model obsolete. He also performed clinical experiments in the form of homeopathic "provings".
These days, tissue salts are prescribed as tablets, made up with lactose powder in a manner similar to homeopathic products: The salt is ground with lactose powder in a ratio of 1:9, and this mixture is then ground with fresh lactose, again in a 1:9 ratio. This process is repeated six times, yielding a 1 000 000 to 1 dilution. Because of this dilution, tissue salts are generally prescribed at dosages that are too low to have any detectable effect on the levels of the minerals and electrolytes involved, and no well-designed clinical trials have ever shown an effect other than placebo from tissue salts.
Dr. Schüßler believed that the balance of these twelve mineral salts could be restored by ingesting "cell salts" in a bioavailable form. He claimed that these minerals needed not so much to be "replaced" as the cells needed to be prompted by the cell salts to restore balance of the essential components.
His studies began as the investigation of cremated bodies during which he discovered that the twelve substances accounted for the majority of what remained. Cell salts are generally considered a homeopathic remedy. Some people may consider any beneficial effects to be the result of placebo effects.
- Absorbed sublingually
- Mined from the earth
- Zyllitol and lactose as fillers
- Support drainage – homeopathic and nutritive
- Reestablish enzyme connections and correct them
- Get right inside the cell and fix the enzyme-mineral imbalance
- OK to touch
- Phos – affinity for nervous sytem
- Sulfur – Phase II liver, skin and skin discharge
- Natrium – Fluid in the body, too much or lack
- Melange – all 12 – remineralizes whole body, good for tuberculinc. Good for kids. Usually a 3 month protocol or longer.
Choosing a Remedy
- Choose your remedy based on which remedy fits the most symptoms.
- If two fit, then use 1 in AM and 1 in PM.
- 3 month protocols generally
Abbreviated Remedy Guide
1. KALI PHOS (Kali Phosphoricum; Potassium Phosphate)
- mental/emotional symptoms predominate
- Feel as if "I'm too tired to rest."
- nervous asthma
- easily bleeding gums
2. KALI MUR (Kali Muriaticum; Potassium Chloride)
- white mucus, swollen glands
- white or gray coated tongue, glandular swellings, discharge of white, thick mucus from nose or eyes
- indigestion from rich food
3. KALI SULPH (Kali Sulphuricum; Potassium Sulphate)
- yellow mucus, later stages of illness, congestion and cough worse in evening
- dandruff, yellow coated tongue, yellow crusts on eyelids
- gas, poor digestion
4. CALC PHOS (Calcarea Phosphorica; Calcium Phosphate)
- teething remedy
- upset stomach, post-nasal drip, chronic cold feet, poor dentition
5. CALC SULPH (Calcarea Sulphurica; Calcium Sulphate)
- sores that heal poorly, herpes blisters
- pain in forehead, vertigo, pimples on the face
6. CALC FLUOR (Calcarea Fluorica; Calcium Fluoride)
- poor tooth enamel, cracks in palms of hands, lips
7. NAT MUR (Natrum Muriate; Sodium Chloride)
- dryness of body openings, clear thin mucus
- effects of excess overheating; itching of hair at nape of neck
- early stage of common colds with clear, running discharge
- insect bites (applied locally)
8. NAT SULPH (Natrum Sulphuricum; Sodium Sulphate)
- rarely needed
- green stools and other excess bile symptoms
- Sensitive scalp, greenish-gray or greenish-brown coating on tongue, influenza
9. NAT PHOS (Natrum Phosphoricum; Sodium Phosphate)
- simple morning sickness; acid rising in throat
- Headache on crown of head, eyelids glued together in morning,
- grinding of teeth in sleep; pain and sour risings from stomach after eating
10. MAG PHOS (Magnesia Phosphorica; Magnesium Phosphate)
- Muscle spasms, cramps and menstrual cramps, if always better with heat
- hiccups; trembling of hands
- teeth sensitive to cold
11. FERRUM PHOS ( Ferrum Phosphate; Ferrum Phosphate)
- first stages of inflammation, redness, swelling, early fever
- congestive headache, earache, sore throat
- loss of voice from overuse
12. SILICEA (Silica)
- white pus forming conditions, boils ("homeopathic lancet"), stony-hard glands
- Sty in eye area, tonsillitis, brittle nails